Girl Gone Mod!
Reality is the Only Obstacle
to Happiness!   :)
Wednesday, September 28, 2005
I have added some links at the side of the page (mostly to help keep me organized) for both my knitting books and my needles. I may have to revise some of this since I am doing the list from memory :) I need to figure how to add those fun graphs that show how far along you are on a project...
Updates from past posts:
Still have not found the missing yarn
Book layout done and sent to publisher - next stop: Printer!
Amazon wish list updated with priorities
Mr. Owl knows it takes 3 licks to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop!
Stitches & Home Again
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Back from Stitches and I had so much fun! I was extremely overwhelmed with all the choices. The prices were only average, but much more selection than I had ever seen before and all in one place! OMG! Definitely too many choices. Usually, when I am faced with so much to choose from, I am afraid to buy the wrong thing, or too much or something I won’t be happy with later, so I buy very little if anything at all. But this time I “stuck to the plan” and bought a handful of things that I am very happy with.
Pictures to follow….
**Malabrigo – the SOFTEST wool around today – possibly ever!
Stitches on Sunday
Saturday, September 24, 2005
Hooray - I'm going to Stitches this Sunday - I can't wait!!! They will probably be sold out of so much stuff by then, but I just want to see what it's like. Also, that might keep me from spending too much money! I am trying to decide what the next few things I want to knit are so I can take yarn and yardage requirements in case I see the perfect color, etc. I will probably buy groovy needles or some other great tool (assuming they have them, like they wouldn't) I love the gadgets - Just call me Gadget Girl - LOL
Book Layout is HERE!
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! – It’s here – the book layout is ready and I just love, Love, LOVE it!
OMG – it’s so great to see everything all in place, and to see my name on the COVER! Yea, yea, yea, yea!!!! WOW – I didn’t think it would feel this good, but it does. Now I have to block off Tuesday night (done), Wednesday night and Thursday night for editing. It goes pretty quick at this stage, but I still need to do it.
I scanned a pic of the cover for everyone to see – first glimpse of the book that is going to set the world on fire! LOL – hardly. I will be so happy if it sells anything.
hee hee – I am so excited :)
How does one LOSE a ball of yarn?
I have actually lost / misplaced / simply can't find a skein of wool I *know* I bought a few days ago. It was in a yellow-gold color and I was going to exchange it for a red and now it's totally gone!
Let me tell you - my aparment is fairly small so, like, where could it be? I have checked in every room, the car, the bathroom and even the refrigerator!
Amazon Wish List
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Yes! I finally did it - I created a wish list. I know, oh BIG deal. But this will help my family this C-Mas. I really only want books or knitting things so this will be a help in the book department.
Valerie's Wish List
I still have to prioritize, and ADD stuff - oh yes, I have to add stuff! But this is a start!
Working Hard or Hardly Working
Yesterday, my day started out as one and ended up as the other. I was so concerned about a project I needed to complete at work - it was going to be very tough and take all my time and I still wasn't sure I would be able to accomplish it by the deadline. Well, now things have changed so I only have to do half of it and two people are doing the other half. (Shows you how much work there was in the first place)
It was such a relief that I practically goofed off the rest of the day - I'm so lazy sometimes :)
Sunday, September 18, 2005
I Felted! I Felted! I Felted! - Sing along with me now..... OK, maybe not - but still, I did it and it turned out great. I'll take some pics once it dries.
I also posted some pics from past yarn things like Vegas, etc. Check 'em out!
Target $1.00 Stash
Hey - check out the haul I got from Target - each skein was only $1.00!!! (14!, but who's counting)Normally I wouldn't buy such CHEAP yarn, but I have a very tiny stash, and well, who can resist a bargain...? LOL
The orange stuff in the front is actually really soft!
Saturday, September 17, 2005
How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop?
Anybody know? C'mon - see if you remember....!
Friday, September 16, 2005
OK - already I think I have one very cool Secret Pal. She's had my name for about 24 hours and I've gotten like, three emails and an e-card (the card was so cute by the way - I LOVE the kitty!) I hope I can be as good to the person I am spoiling.....
I have finished the Marsupial Tote from the first "Stitch N Bitch" - actually I finished it before I went to Vegas. It was supposed to be my 'vacation project' but it wazs done the night before I left, so I knit squares instead while I was away. It knit up so quick! Of course, I was using two strands of chunky weight yarn... it only took four days (and would have taken less if I was a faster knitter). It was a lot of fun and for a simple project and it taught me many new things including how to pick up stitches, changing yarn colors, single strand cast on for the handle AND it was my first time knitting in the round! Oh, and of course, it will be my first time felting too. So this weekend I will travel to Mom's house and steal her washer for a bit (don't want to do this at a laundromat). Wish me luck!
This is the "before" picture with some flowers I might add if they come out OK.
Layout Almost Ready!
Today has the possibility of having many posts - lots of things going on....
First, I just heard from my editor and the book is almost finished with the layout process! Within the next 4-5 days I should get two copies of the layouts to review and also copies of the front and back cover!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXICTED!!!! The cover! I can't wait to see what that looks like! I wonder if I am allowed to post pics of that stuff here? Well, I don't post as many pics as I would like anyway so maybe it is a non-issue :)
I will have to take time out of my oh-so-busy-schedule to edit it again, you know, make sure all the right captions are with the right pics, etc. But it doesn't matter - it will all be worth the extra time in the end.
Squares That Care
Thursday, September 15, 2005
On the note of getting my SP name - I really should start posting to my blog more so whoever has MY name has something to read :) !!!!
Check out the link I just posted for "Squares That Care" - our little SnB group has started the concept of knitting 8" squares that will eventually be sewn into blankets for the less fortunate. The original ones we are working on now will go to the victims of Katrina. After that, I'm not sure... homeless shelters perhaps. I think it's a really nice idea - a great way to practice your skills and do something nice for humanity at the same time.
I got lucky finding this SnB group - they are some really nice people :)
Yea! I just got my SP6 match - I can't wait to read her blog and start spoiling!
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
I am so excited about SP6 - I hope I do everything right - I want to be a good pal and spoil someone!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? I tend to stay away from both Lion and Red Heart as I haven't heard many good things about them, but I am not quite a proper yarn snob - yet!
2. Do you spin? Crochet? I'm not really into the idea of spinning right now, but I would like to learn crocheting someday.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) No allergies, OK, dust maybe, but that shouldn't be a problem with yarn.
4. How long have you been knitting? I'm a new knitter, about 5-6 months, I have a lot to learn but I really like it!
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No, should I?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Right now, I am really big into citrus, mostly orange. I like most fruity scents but I DON'T like flowery scents at all.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Well yes, but I don't eat sugar of any kind, it doesn't agree with me
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I am always changing. Right now, I am making my own stitch markers and I am thinking of ways to decorate my needles without making them unusable for knitting!
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I really like oldies music from the 60s - it's my passion - but 80s stuff is fun, too since that is really my generation. And, yes, I can play MP3s.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I seem to be gravitating towards the combinations of blues/greens and pinks/oranges. Orange is my signature color. My living room is orange and my kitchen in blue/green, both with vintage styling.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am living on my own and quite happily I might add :) I have no pets right now since I live in an apartment, but I am dog-happy!! I LOVE dogs and ache for the day I can have one again.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) A happy, healthy life and a good man to share it with. OK, and a DOG too! And lots of friends!
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I like Gedifra, but I haven't had too much experience with different yarns yet. I've been meaning to try Manos Del Uruguay as soon as I get the chance. Chunky/Bulky weight is better, and not too slippery, I haven't the patience.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Cheap junk that splits and squeaks.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? I just bought the book "25 Bags to Knit", so I can't wait to obsess over those.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Things that knit up quick!
17. What are you knitting right now? Some flowers for a handbag I just finished, a scarf or two and some squares with my SnB group for blankets to send to Katrina survivors.
18. What do you think about ponchos? If you're not 20 years old and an "A" cup - you shouldn't wear them. I am neither - which is OK.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Each has their place, no preference.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Bamboo! Plastic is OK too.
21. Are you a sock knitter? No, I really don't have the desire.
22. How did you learn to knit? I took paid-for lessons - They got me started, but I still have so much to learn. Now I am learning with the help of my SnB buddies!
23. How old is your oldest UFO? About two months.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Totally into Family Guy, South Park and The Simpsons. Also a big Flintstones fan from way back.
25. What is your favorite holiday? Halloween, without a doubt!
26. Is there anything that you collect? Is there anything I don't collect? HA!
To narrow it down: vintage 1960s memorabilia and now knitting tools and yarns.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None yet. I am buying issues from the stores to see which I like the best and will go from there. I seem to like most of them - it's going to be a tough decision.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on? "The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques" by Nancie M. Weisman; "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation" by Debbie Stoller
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another? Not particularly.
ETA: 30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like? I am a perfect size 8 - I don't know what that translates to in inches... about 9.5? I love all socks - one of the great joys in this world is putting on a brand new pair of socks!
OK, yes, I'm back from Vegas. It was a lot of fun but also very tiring. I walked everywhere - miles and miles - saw a lot of stuff, but I had seen most of it before. Went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, that was cool.
I also found a very nice yarn shop - if I lived in Vegas, I would shop there - lots of groovy trinkets. I got two sets of needles with the polymer clay tops (very pretty), a great book on bags to knit, a sheep that is a tape measure (you pull his tail, too cute), oh, and of course, some yarn.
need to know
Stitch Markers & Needles
Lime Green Mohair Wrap Embrace Scarf
far out links